A homemade BBQ sauce recipe with brown sugar and ketchup that’s not only delicious, it’s also easy to make. You’ll never go back to store-bought BBQ sauce after you have tried this homemade BBQ sauce!
We go through so much BBQ sauce in our house it’s crazy. My kids eat it with pretty much everything, especially my son. If he can dip it in sauce, he will. This includes everything from chicken to potatoes.
We use BBQ sauce for dipping fries, chicken, and other finger foods. We also use it for ribs, hamburgers, pork, and to make BBQ chicken. We typically even put some extra BBQ sauce on the side, so we can have extra BBQ sauce with our food.
The one thing we have not tried it on was chicken cooked in the air fryer. So if you do, please let me know how it goes!
This BBQ sauce is a huge it at our 4th of July gatherings that we do. We always have a cookout with tons of delicious food and drinks that we have with friends and family and then we watch the fireworks that night.
Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe with Ketchup and Brown Sugar
If you’re looking for a homemade BBQ recipe, I have one to share!
Here is what you need:
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Here is the easy part of putting it all together.
Now, before we go further, my daughter and I have had a bit of a debate about how to mix the sauce properly. She has her way and I have my easier way.
I’ll list both below, even though the only difference is the order of how you mix the ingredients!
Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix it until everything is all nice and stirred up.
My Daughter’s Way
Per my 11-year-old wanna-be chef daughter.. you first need to mix the ketchup and the brown sugar together. Make sure it’s stirred well so that everything is combined.
Next, add the mustard powder and paprika and stir until it’s all combined. The last part would be to add the Worchestershire sauce, stir, then add the vinegar. Add any salt or pepper after to fit your taste.
If you happen to try it both ways, please let me know if you like it better one way or another. It’s something I really need to know!
With this BBQ sauce recipe, you can taste and adjust to your personal preferences which is great for picky eaters or those who like their BBQ with a certain zing to it.
To store: Store the sauce in a mason jar in the fridge for up to 2 months. You can also use these fun BBQ sauce bottles.
More Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- 30 Creative Pancake Ideas and Unique Pancake Recipes
- Soft Bakery Style Pumpkin Cookies with Maple Frosting
- Samoa Parfait Dessert No Bake with Girl Scout Cookies and Vanilla Pudding
- Keto Taco Casserole – A Delicious Keto Skillet Recipe and Keto Mexican Dish
- Pumpkin Pie Popsicles with Yogurt and Cinnamon – Perfect fall breakfast or treat!
- Homemade Lemonade Recipes Flavored Lemonade Recipes with Real Fruit
Print and save this recipe for future use!
Easy Homemade BBQ Sauce
- 2 c ketchup
- 1/3 c brown sugar
- 1/3 c apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
- 3 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix it until everything is all nice and stirred up.
- Store the sauce in a mason jar in the fridge for up to 2 months.