Having a few elementary Halloween writing prompts ready to go for October is a must! These fun and spooky Halloween writing prompts will help get the kids thinking during the Halloween season and you can grab a free printable with the prompts for use in class too!
Halloween is fast approaching and while you may not be working on your Halloween plans yet, you may be getting ready for Halloween in your homeschool learning.
To help get the kids to work on writing, spelling, and creative thinking, I always do writing prompts. I will make writing prompts for fall, writing prompts for Thanksgiving, and some general prompts throughout the year.
You may like: Middle School Writing Prompts
Spooky and Fun Writing Prompts for Halloween
These spooky and fun elementary Halloween writing prompts will get kids thinking and writing creatively. They can use their imaginations and put their thoughts to paper.
You can use these for journaling at home, homeschool writing topics, or print out the free Halloween writing prompts printable and use them for Do-Now or writing exercises in class at school.
30 Halloween Writing Prompts for Kids
- Describe the perfect Halloween costume.
- What is your favorite Halloween candy?
- If you could make a dessert with your favorite candy, what would it have in it?
- If you had a pet ghost, what would you call it?
- What would you say to a pumpkin if it could talk?
- Write a letter to your favorite Halloween character.
- Convince a witch that she doesn’t need her broomstick.
- What if a bat couldn’t fly?
- What makes Halloween scary?
- If Halloween was celebrated in the summer, would it be any different?
- Would you trick-or-treat in a cave? Why or why not?
- If candy could talk, what would it say?
- What do you want to dress up as this year and why?
- Design your own crazy costume, what would it look like?
- Make up a short story about a vampire.
- What if a vampire didn’t have any teeth?
- Create a recipe for a new potion. What would you name it?
- What do you think Halloween will look like in 200 years.
- Why is Halloween celebrated?
- Should adults go trick-or-treating?
- Do you like scary movies? If so what is your favorite?
- Write a letter to a ghost or goblin and tell them your Halloween plans.
- Pretend you are a ghost at Halloween, what would you do?
- Would you rather be a vampire or a ghost?
- Would you rather meet a ghost or a werewolf?
- What kind of lunch would a pumpkin eat?
- How many zombies are too many?
- Would you rather hang out with a skeleton or a mummy?
- Do you think mummies would get along with ghosts?
- If a skeleton had a job, what would it be?
You may also like these Fall Writing Prompts for Kids
If youâ€™re looking for a journal for kids,Â Rip The Page! Adventures in Creative Writing is a great way to help kids spark their imagination.
We also love using black page journals. The kids really like using gel pens because of the colors they create. It looks pretty cool!
Print and Save!
Click here to Download the Free Printable Halloween Writing Prompts
More fun Halloween activities for kids:
Tasty Halloween treats kids will love snacking on: