At home activities are all about having fun and enjoying each other’s company while everyone is home and not out and about.
With the COVID-19 virus, many states are urging everyone to practice social distancing to slow down the rate at which the virus is spreading.
While we have talked to the kids about what exactly is going on, I still want them to not be so worried that they can’t enjoy our time together. So, we have multiple family fun night ideas we will be putting into place in the next few weeks.
What is Social Distancing?
Social distancing is a way to help prevent the spread of a virus by distancing yourself from large crowds or gatherings. Many events get canceled because they draw a large crowd where the virus can be spread quickly.
For example, people are encouraged to work from home if they can, recreational activities and sports events are postponed or canceled, and schools or workplaces shut down to help slow down the rate at which is virus spreads.
Many schools have encouraged homeschooling while the kids are out of school and have even put in place online earning opportunities. Colleges have even shut down and will be doing online classes only.
It is also recommended that we avoid large stores the best we can, avoid playgrounds or playgroups, and try to do as much as we can with limited interaction with others.
Social distancing isn’t much fun, especially when we all want to be out socializing and enjoying ourselves or letting the kids run off their energy at the park.
While social distancing isn’t something a lot of people want to participate in, it does have it’s benefits and can help slow down the spread of germs.
At Home Activities for Family Fun Night
There are plenty of at home activities that you can do while it is recommended for everyone to practice social distancing.
Plus, this time at home with our family, can be something special. Our kids grow up so fast that it seems like we often miss many of the little moments that are important because of our busy schedules.
When I first found out they would be canceling schools, social events, and even sports, my first thought was that this social distancing thing can be a good way for our family to reconnect and have fun together while staying safe.
We have been brainstorming and searching online a lot when it comes to what activities we can do at home.
Luckily, our list is long and continues to grow as everyone comes up with different games or fun activities we can all participate in. These are a few of our favorites.
I will continue to update the list as we find more, so you can bookmark or come back to see the new additions!
Family Togetherness Activities
- have a few board games nights where each night a different person will pick a game to play.
- card game night with the same rules above
- have a movie night where we each pick different movies we want to watch
- bake a pizza together or mini pizzas where everyone gets to make their own
- make cookies together
- have a nerf gun war (these are some fun nerf gun games we’d love to try)
- start a rock collection from the rocks we find in the back yard (if you have a wooded area, this would be even more fun!)
- make some fun Star Wars crafts
- create some fun superhero crafts
- make a layout of what we want our garden to look like this year
- make homemade tie-dye for so we can color our clothes
- DIY cloud dough
- make painted rocks
- create these fun woodland animal masks
- magic milk experiment
- make rainbow playdough
- rainbow walking in water experiment
- make galaxy slime
- make Harry Potter slime
Free Printables & Fun Activities for the Kids
- P.E. For Kids (Daily Exercise Ideas) + 10 A Day Challenge Printable Tacker
- Free At Home Activity Pack for Kids To Work On While They Are Home
- Free Printable Easter Bingo Game Activity for Kids
- St Patricks Day Bingo Game Free Printable Bingo Cards and Calling Cards
- memory games
- Star Wars coloring and activity pages
- St. Patrick’s Day or Easter bingo
- Disney color by number pages
- Unicorn coloring pages
- puzzle books
These are just a few of the things we have thought about doing. I did throw some ideas in there that you and your family may enjoy doing.
I will be adding to the list because there are so many great resources out there and I want to continue to update the post for you as I find them.