Fall fruits and vegetables for the upcoming season will soon be readily available at your local farmer’s market as well as in your grocery stores.
Take advantage of these delicious fall fruits and vegetables by incorporating them into your meal planning and delicious fall recipes.
Fruits aren’t just for yummy desserts; many fall fruits can be used in savory dishes, too. Of course, they’re always great for snacks and some can be eaten as-is with no prep required.
Here are just a few of the most popular fresh fruits that you’ll find this season.
With so many different kinds of apples available, apples are one of the most popular fruits in fall and throughout the whole year. While available year-round, late summer and fall is their harvest season.
Why use apples in the apple harvest season? You’ll find that freshly harvested apples are juicier and sweeter.
Other than desserts, try incorporating them in fruit smoothies or even adding them to salads. You can also use them in savory dishes and upcoming holiday dishes.
- Sheet Pan Rosemary Chicken, Apples And Brussels Sprouts by Well Plated
- Apple Cinnamon Smoothie by The Recipe Well
- Autumn Kale Salad With Honey Crisp Apples and Goat Cheese by Cookie And Kate
I did a whole roundup on some of the best apple recipes if you are looking for more!
Those beautiful deep red berries are everywhere during the fall and this is the time to enjoy their tart taste.
Benefits of Cranberries: Cranberries are low in sugar and calories. Some studies also suggest that cranberries are beneficial to digestion and cardiovascular health.
Traditionally cranberries are served in sauce form but you can use cranberries in a variety of other ways. From sweet desserts to salads, relish, and even stuffing, these little jewels are perfect for enjoying in the fall season.
Use fresh cranberries in these recipes:
- Cranberry Crumble Pie Bars by Sally’s Baking Addiction
- Cranberry Orange Relish by Zesty Olive
- Sweet Potato And Cranberry Stuffing by Diet hood
Persimmons are harvested in the fall. There are various kinds of persimmons and they can range in color from a light yellow to a dark reddish-orange.
Benefits of Persimmons: Persimmons are known to be fat-free, cholesterol-free, and sodium-free. They are also an excellent source of fiber, vitamin A, and vitamin C.
A few recipes with persimmons:
- Persimmon Upside Down Cake by A Baking Journey
- Persimmon Pumpkin Pudding Cake by The Forked Spoon
- Orange Carrot Persimmon Smoothie from Natalie’s Health
Check out some of our favorite must-try persimmon recipes.
Fall Vegetables In Season
You’ll find a wide variety of squash and greens in your local markets during the fall season. If you’ve never tried some of them, here are just a few that are delicious and healthy.
Give these fall vegetables a try and find a new recipe to serve to your friends and family.
One of the most popular vegetables that you’ll see in the fall is the butternut squash. This versatile veggie offers a creamy texture and mild flavor that makes it perfect for a variety of dishes. We enjoy butternut squash in the fall as a side to our salmon.
Benefits of Butternut Squash: Butternut squash is high in fiber as well as potassium and vitamin A. It’s hard outer peel allows it to be stored for longer periods of time before use. Roast it, puree it, add it to salads or even make pasta with it!
Here are some delicious butternut squash recipes you may enjoy:
- Butternut Squash Soup by Love And Lemon
- Spiralized Butternut Pasta by Detoxinista
- Stuffed Butternut Squash by Little Spice Jar
More delicious butternut squash recipes.
Brussels sprouts look like tiny cabbages and have the same strong taste until cooked.
Benefits of brussels sprouts: Brussels sprouts are high in immunity-boosting vitamin C, vitamin K, and vitamin B6 and are considered a cold-weather superfood.
You’ll see brussels sprouts sold on stalks during the fall season, as that’s how they naturally grow. Roast them, use them in salads, and enjoy this healthy fall vegetable.
- Bacon and Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Cheesy Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts by Cafe Delites
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Pomegranate Balsamic Glaze by Simply Recipes
- Autumn Kale & Shaved Brussel Sprouts Salad by Joyful Healthy Eats
Beets are popular in many dishes around the world.
Benefits of Beets: Beets are low in calories and have plenty of nutrients. Beets can help keep your blood pressure regular and fight against inflammation. It has also been said that beets can improve your digestive health and help you lose wieght.
A few delicious beet recipes you might enjoy:
- Chilled Beet Soup by Diabetes Strong
- Oven Baked Beet Chips from Pink Fortitude
- Beet Glazed Salmon by Just Beet It
This is just a few of my favorite fall fruits and vegetables that are in season. There are a ton of others that are in season though.