Writing is a form of communication that allows us to convey ideas, instructions and stories to others. Teachers and parents of third grade students are charged with the responsibility to set these students on a solid road to success with the written word. A big part of that involves the use of writing prompts.
What is a Writing Prompt?
A writing prompt is a tool used by parents, teachers and tutors as a way to encourage the development of writing skills. Third grade writing prompts are rather simple in their construction. They help to ignite a child’s creative juices. After all, even an adult with years of writing experience often finds staring at a blank sheet of paper terrifying. With writing prompts, the page is no longer blank. Instead, it holds the seed of a narrative. As you can see, third grade writing prompts relieve the stress a student may feel when confronted by a blank sheet of paper.
75 Awesome 3rd Grade Writing Prompts
Below you’ll find 75 awesome third grade writing prompts. Some of these writing prompts are straightforward, while others test the limits of the imagination. However, all have one thing in common: To assist the student by honing their writing skills.
1. Write a short story about a ghost in a haunted house. Include a puppy, kitten and lollipop.
2. Do you have a pet? What kind of animal is it and what is its name?
3. Tell us about your favorite holiday. Why is this holiday so special to you? How do you celebrate this holiday?
4. Think about your average school day. What would you do to make the school day more enjoyable?
5. Which is your favorite, French fries or tater tots. Why are they your favorite? Do you add ketchup or not?
6. Watch this short video, “The Velveteen Rabbit”. Tell us what the video was about.
7. Do you have a cell phone? If so, do you use it? If you don’t have a cell phone, tell us why you don’t and if you would like one.
8. Do you like math? If so, tell us why you like it. If not what can be done to make it easier?
9. Write a letter to a famous person in history that you admire. What is their name and what did they do? Why do you admire them?
10. Write a story about a raindrop sitting in a cloud.
11. Did you ever help your mom in the kitchen? If so, tell us about helping your mom in the kitchen. What did you do?
12. Have you ever gone on a picnic? What did you like about it? What foods did you eat, and what fun things did you do?
13. Tell us about your best friend. What makes them so special to you? Tell us about some of the fun things you and your best friends have done together.
14. What was the best thing about being in the third grade? Are you looking forward to entering the fourth grade? Why or why not?
15. Describe to us your favorite subject in school. Next, tell us why you like it so much and what you would do to make it better.
16. Write about a time that you watched a spooky movie. Do you like spooky movies? If so, which is your favorite? If you don’t like spooky movies, tell us why.
17. Describe your favorite cartoon show. What is it called? Who are the main characters? Why do you like it more than the others?
18. Tell us about your least favorite cartoon show. What is the show about? Who are the characters? How could you make the show better?
19. What is your favorite sack lunch to bring to school? Now, give step-by-step instructions on how to make it.
20. Write about where you live. Do you live in an apartment building or house? Describe what your neighborhood looks like.
21. Are you dressing up for Halloween? If so, tell us what your costume is and what it looks like.
22. What is your favorite Halloween candy? Make a list of your favorite 5 candies and describe each one.
23. Tell us about your favorite meal. Is your favorite meal breakfast, lunch or dinner? What’s in your favorite meal? Why do you like it?
24. Tell us about the food you dislike the most. What does it smell like? What does it taste like?
25. Describe your favorite family vacation. Where did you go? Who did you go with? What made this vacation so special?
26. You are creating your own candy shop. What does it look like? What kind of candy are you selling?
27. Think of the planets. Do you have a favorite planet? If so, what planet is it? What makes this planet your favorite?
28. America wants to go to Mars. What do think about people going to Mars? Would you go to Mars? If you would go to Mars, why?
29. What does it mean when someone says to you, “lend me your ear”?
30. Explain the word “kindness”. What does the word mean to you? Make a list of 10 acts of kindness and describe each one.
31. Write a short story about a castle in the clouds. Include unicorns, elves and fairies.
32. What is your favorite ride at the amusement park. Why do you like it?
33. Tell us about your favorite type of cake. Did you ever help your mom bake a cake?
34. Describe your favorite television show. What is it about this television show that makes it so special?
35. Describe your school playground. Tell us what playground equipment is your favorite.
36. What is your favorite card game? Describe the rules, explaining to us how you play the game.
37. Write a short story where the main character is a poodle that wears a flowered hat.
38. You wake up one morning as a penguin. What is your day like?
39. What makes you happy and why?
40. Write a short story about a teapot, tea cup and a piece of cake.
41. Write a story about your favorite fictional character as your best friend. How do you spend your day?
42. A talking horse asks you for directions to the nearest supermarket. Describe these directions in detail.
43. What do you eat for breakfast? Would you prefer a different breakfast, if so describe it.
44. Write a short poem about a giraffe eating apples.
45. What do you think is your most important quality?
46. You get to choose between a cat, dog and horse for a pet. Which would you choose and why?
47. Think about your favorite dream. Describe it for us.
48. Provide instructions explaining how to make a banana split.
49. Do you like rainy days? What do you do when it’s rainy outside?
50. Write a short story about two dolphins swimming in the sea. What are talking about?
51. Describe for us what scares you? Is it a monster, if so, who is it? Is it a movie, if so what is the name of the movie?
52. Think about the weather. What is your favorite type of weather, rain, sun or snow. Why is it your favorite?
53. Do you have a hobby? If so, tell us about your hobby.
54. You can fly for a day. What would you do and where would you go?
55. You drink an invisibility potion and slowly become invisible. Describe what you’d do for day.
56. What is your favorite period in history? What would you do there?
57. Your favorite stuffed animal starts talking to you. What did you talk about?
58. What is your favorite book? Next, write a review of that book.
59. You just woke up and found that you are king of the world. Name 3 things that you would change.
60. You could spend the day outside or inside. Which one would you choose? What would you do on that day?
61. Have you ever made a snowman? If you did, describe the experience. Did you name your snowman?
62. You have a choice of being a bird, horse or cat for one day. Which animal would you choose and why? Next, tell us how you would spend your day as that animal.
63. Do you like donuts? If so, why do you like them?
64. Write a story about how you would persuade your parents to buy you a pony. What color is the pony and what is his name?
65. Write a story about two bunny rabbits who accidentally meet on a path and soon become best friends.
66. Do you have gym class in your school? If you do, then describe your favorite gym class activity.
67. Write a story about toys that come alive at night. What do they do?
68. Your parents have given you a space in the yard to start your own garden. Tell us what you’ll plant and why.
69. You are walking home from school and find a lost puppy. What do you do?
70. Think about your life. Tell about the best day in your life. What happened?
71. . What would you rather have, a cupcake, donut or pie. Tell us what you chose and why you chose it.
72. Do you like dinosaurs? If you do, write about your favorite dinosaur and why you like it more than the others.
73. What does the phrase peace and love mean to you? Do you think peace and love can make the world a better place?
74. Would you rather watch a movie at home or in the theater? Tell us your choice and why you chose it.
75. Think about your life. What are you most grateful for in you life?