Can I block channels on YouTube Kids? Yes! It can be done! There are so many different YouTube channels out there, some not so friendly for kids. We learned that the hard way.
We often use YouTube for our homeschooling routine. There are a ton of great educational channels and videos that help with our curriculum.
Unfortunately, there are some not so kid friendly videos out there. Coming across some of these made me question YouTube. However, it can be such a great learning resource. This sent me on an adventure to find out how I could block channels on YouTube Kids and make the experience safer for children.
What is YouTube Kids?
YouTube Kids has become more and more popular. If you're unfamiliar with YouTube Kids, here is what it offers:
- Kids can watch online videos from their favorite shows to learning how to do science experiments and other educational topics.
- Content levels - you can choose either "Younger" (under 8) or "Older" (12 and under) mode to control what content is made available.
- You can set up to 8 different profiles each with their own settings and video content.
- Keep an eye on their watch history, set timing limits, and customize their search options.
Sometimes, things get through the cracks though and some fine tuning on settings needs to be done. You can also use this to save your sanity, don't worry, I had to do that as well. You know those videos with the high pitched voices or people doing dumb stuff that I didn't want my child to learn how to do? Yep, I blocked those!
How To Block Videos or Channels
If you come across something you may not want your child to see, you can block those channels or even just a single video. Here's how:
- Sign in to your YouTube Kids account.
- Tap the more button (the three little dots next to the video).
- Click on Block this Channel or Block this Video.
- There will be some verification numbers that come up, type those into the box or use the passcode that you set.
Bam! That video or channel now disappears from your child's screen.
If you've blocked something on accident, don't worry, you can unblock the content. When you're signed in simply click on the Setting icon (the little gear), click on Unblock videos, then confirm by clicking on Yes, unblock.
Now, if you're using the app with Family Link, the only way you can unblock videos is by going to the Family Link settings. More info on how to do that can be found here.